Universiteit Leiden

nl en

Allowances and expense claims

If you have incurred costs for your work, you may be entitled to reimbursement. For example material costs, but also travel costs for commuting and business trips. We’ve listed all the possibilities below.

Expense claims

Have you incurred material costs for your work? In certain cases, you may be entitled to reimbursement.

  • Submit expense claims through Self Service.
  • Submit your claim as soon as possible but no more than three months after the end of the calendar year.
  • Ensure that you have an electronic copy of your proof or purchase, for instance an original receipt, before you submit your claim.
  • Your activity holder and budget holder must approve your claim.

Submit an expense claim

If you are not on a University computer, please use Remote Workplace to login to Self Service.

You will receive a reimbursement for the commuting costs. You can also take advantage of a fiscal benefit in addition to the commuting allowance. The travel reimbursement consists of:

  1. Commuting allowance
    In 2022, most of us will still be working largely from home. You are not entitled to a commuting allowance for the days you work at home, so you will no longer receive the automatic commuting allowance in 2022.

    However, the University will still provide an allowance for those days when you travel to your University workplace. As it is not possible to predict which days these will be, you can claim your actual commuting days every month after the end of the month.
  2. Offsetting your commuting expenses using your gross income
    In 2022 everyone may again apply for the (supplementary) kilometre allowance via the Terms of Employment Individual Choices Model. This kilometre allowance will be calculated with retrospective effect from 1 January 2021 based on the travel days you have claimed.

Do you cycle to work or to and from a bus or train station or carpool location? Then you can offset the costs of purchasing a bicycle, insurance and maintenance against your gross salary, end-of-year bonus or holiday allowance.

If you travel in the Netherlands or abroad on University business, you are entitled to a travel and subsistence allowance.

If you work for the University but are not an employee, you can still submit a claim for certain expenses. Do this by filling in an electronic claim form. Attach proof of purchase for everything that you wish to have reimbursed. Remember to scan your receipts beforehand. The activity holder and budget holder of the department for which you work must approve your claim.

This website uses cookies.  More information.