Universiteit Leiden

nl en

Travel to high-risk areas

If you want to go on a business trip to an area that poses safety risks, you will need the prior authorisation of the University. As your employer, we are responsible for your health and safety. We have therefore drawn up ‘Guidelines for business travel to high-risk areas’, which are based on the foreign travel advice from the Dutch government.

Please note:

Business trips abroad are not permitted until further notice, unless the Executive Board gives prior permission in writing. This applies to all trips, regardless of the colour code. Read more >>

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (BZ) provides advice for every country in every region of the world. Its advice is colour-coded according to the safety of the region. You can look up its advice for the place you wish to visit online or in the 24/7 BZ Reis app.

Employees going on business trips can make use of the University’s collective travel insurance scheme (via ACE). You do not need to register your trip before departure with the insurance, but please download the travel insurance card and the Chubb Travel Smart App of the travel insurance.

Travel to a red zone

Red means do not travel. In very exceptional cases, the Executive Board may authorise a trip to a red zone, for instance if the trip is absolutely essential to your research or work and cannot be postponed. You must request authorisation for a trip to a red zone from your faculty board and include a Risk Analysis form with your request.

Authorisation form business trip red zone

Travel to an orange zone

Orange means only travel if this is essential, which means that you cannot do your work without going on this trip and that you cannot postpone the trip to a later date. You will need prior authorisation from the mandate holder for a business trip to an orange zone. The mandate holder will conduct a risk assessment and decide whether to authorise the trip. He or she may authorise it under certain conditions such as drawing up a safety plan or following safety training.

Authorisation form business trip orange zone

Travel to a yellow or green zone

Yellow means that the safety risks are greater than you are used to in the Netherlands. Green means that the safety risks are comparable with the risks in the Netherlands. You may travel to yellow and green areas if you have received authorisation from your mandate holder.

Authorisation form business trip yellow or green zone

What to do if the situation suddenly changes during your trip

If you are visiting an area and its colour code changes to red, leave immediately and contact our travel insurer ACE Assistance. If you are visiting an area and its colour code changes to orange, contact the emergency number of our travel insurer ACE Assistance as soon as possible: +31 010 289 3536 (24/7). The University’s policy number is NLBBBA04490. 

In such an event, follow the instructions issued by or on behalf of the University immediately, as well as any instructions issued by or on behalf of the Dutch government. If you are not a Dutch national, follow the instructions of the government of your country of origin.

Registration with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

It is a good idea to register with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs so that the ambassador or consulate will be able to contact you in the event of an emergency. Register at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Situations can rapidly change, for instance in the event of a natural disaster or terrorist attack. To ensure that you are aware of the latest developments, you can subscribe by e-mail to the travel advice for the area you are visiting, regularly check the 24/7 BZ Reis app or follow the BZ Reisadvies Twitter account.

This website uses cookies.  More information.