Universiteit Leiden

nl en

Report sick and guidance during sick leave

If you are unable to come to work due to sickness, find out below how to report sick and how the University guides its employees on sick leave.

If you have coronavirus or what appear to be the symptoms, call your doctor. If you are unable to work, please follow the regular procedure for calling in sick. You do not have to inform your manager if you have tested positive for coronavirus.

How do I report sick?

On the first day of your illness, you should notify your immediate supervisor. The precise procedure for reporting sick depends on your unit. If you are staying at a different address during your illness, you should also notify your supervisor of this temporary address. You should also make agreements with your supervisor about how you can be reached by telephone. Your supervisor may want to discuss with you how you can best be monitored during this period and how to ensure the continuity or your work.

How do I report that I am better?

On the first day that you are better, you should notify your supervisor.

Reporting sick on holiday

If you become ill during your holiday, you are required to notify your supervisor. Don’t forget to indicate your holiday address and telephone number so that your employer can contact you.

You can claim back vacation hours as a result of sickness, but only if you notified your supervisor of your illness in the manner described above. You should also be able to demonstrate retroactively that you were in fact ill, for example by providing evidence that you were treated by a doctor or admitted to hospital.

Invitation to make an appointment with the University doctor after 4 weeks

After four weeks of sick leave you will receive a letter with information about the sickness leave process and an invitation to make an appointment yourself with the University doctor. There are then two possibilities.

1. No appointment with the University doctor 

  • You don’t need to make an appointment if you expect to recover in the short term. Discuss this first with your manager.  
  • Notify your manager as soon as you have partially or fully recovered.
  • If your sickness leave is going to last longer than 6 weeks, it is important that you talk to your manager and make an appointment with the University doctor. The University doctor will write a Problem Analysis with recommendations. Then, together with your manager, you will draw up an Action Plan. This is in the context of the Gatekeeper Improvement Act.

2. You do make an appointment with the University doctor  

  • To prepare for the appointment with the University doctor, you should complete the online ‘Information & questions’ form, preferably together with your manager. The form contains questions about the current situation and any agreements made. You can also indicate the questions you want to ask of the University doctor. What would you like to have advice on
  • Submit the form and make an appointment via the Health, Safety and Environment secretariat, telephone 071 527 8015.
  • After the appointment, the University doctor will provide you and your manager with specific advice.

Sickness notification

  • You must report sick to your manager/supervisor before 9:30 am
    You must inform them of the expected duration of the illness, your accommodation address and the telephone number where you can be reached. In addition, you must report which activities you can still perform and which appointments must be transferred, rescheduled or cancelled. 
  • If your manager/supervisor is absent, you must contact your secretariat to notify them of your situation. You will then receive a phone call from your manager/supervisor or their replacement as soon as possible. You will mutually agree on your tasks and the follow-up contact based on the expected duration of your illness.

Recovery notification

  • You must contact your manager/supervisor by telephone to inform them of your recovery. 
  • If your manager/supervisor is absent, you can notify your secretariat of your recovery. 
  • Even when your absence percentage changes, you must report this to your manager/supervisor

Temporary workers

If you are a temporary worker, please follow the regulations of the agency that has deployed you. Obviously, you must also contact your manager/supervisor.

Company doctor

Company doctors are part of the Safety, Health and Environment (VGM) department.

Our company doctor is Mrs Carine de Vries. For advice on matters relating to your health and work, such as pregnancy, medication, or working with a chronic disease/impairment, please schedule a visit to the company doctor during consultation hours. Poortgebouw Zuid, Rijnsburgerweg 10, 2333 AA Leiden, 3rd floor, tel. +31 (0)71 527 8015.

A healthy and enjoyable work environment

The internal Safety, Health and Environment (VGM) service of Leiden University focuses on workfloor risk management and absenteeism guidance.

This department employs, among others, company doctors, labour and organisation experts, safety experts and occupational hygienists. 

Within the FGGA (Faculty of Governance and Global Affairs), the University Services Department (UFB) coordinates those tasks related to working conditions, the environment and safety. 

FGGA Contact Persons

  • Labour and organisation expert: Mrs E.P. Koudstaal, direct-dialling number 8015.
  • Company doctor: Mrs  Carine de Vries, direct-dialling number 8015 
    Employees and managers/supervisors can contact her for (information on) absenteeism guidance and workfloor risk management.
  • Working conditions and environment coordinator (A&M Coordinator): Mrs P.J. Slabber, direct-dialling number 2275. 
    Employees and students can contact her for advice and information on physical working conditions.
This website uses cookies.  More information.